Distressed Mason Jars Make Such Cute Vases
I am loving all of the home decor I’ve seen that’s using distressed Mason jars. From wall hangings, to vases on a shelf, to kitchen utensil holders, I love them all! I decided I’d give the distressed Mason jar style a try. This distressed technique uses chalk paint. As you probably know, this stuff is expensive!! Hobby Lobby ended up having just what I needed! Folkart Brand makes the perfect sized chalk paint bottles for about $1.97 a bottle as compared to about $25 for a pint of the premium chalk paint. I had this project in mind to put on our newly built coffee table (a tutorial is coming, I promise) so I chose three sort of neutral paint colors.
The process is so easy!
I started the project by setting my Mason jars upside down on some paper to protect the counter. A regular soft paintbrush is perfect for applying the paint. I poured up less than a tablespoon of paint into a solo cup (solo cups, not just for beer pong! Like I’ve ever played beer pong…), dipped the brush in the paint and just starting applying the paint. You really do want a softer brush for this, one of mine was a little bit stiff and it was pushing the Mason jar, making it difficult to apply the paint evenly.
I set the jar on a stand The Mean Man uses in the garage for his rolls of trash bags; dual purpose! (I actually only did this on the first one as it’s pretty difficult to get the jar up there. I just just let the others stay on the paper upside down). I let them dry for two hours and applied a second coat.
After the Mason jars were completely dry, I took some 80 grit sandpaper and began to lightly sand all of the raised elements; all words, measuring lines, even the “Made in the USA.”
Spraying the painted and sanded jars with a sealer is important. Rust-Oleum makes an easy to use matte enamel sealant that I sprayed on each jar. This will make it easier to keep the jars dust-free.
The jars then got some raffia tied around the neck and topped off with a little bow. This gives the jars a little country charm. I used an old slat box that I had The Mean Man cut down to better accommodate the size of the jars. Adding some burlap and raffia to the bottom of the box helped get the jars to the height I wanted. Putting some random silk flowers in the vases completed the project.
I hope you give this a try!