Picture Frame Wreath with Dry Brushed Painted Frame
I had a special request for a picture frame wreath back at Christmas. I made a really pretty wreath with a decorative ready to paint frame upon which I used a crackle glaze. It turned out beautifully. I decided that an any occasion picture frame wreath would be the perfect accent for a narrow wall that is next to my staircase. I also did a video tutorial on this technique. It can be found here. Now, on to how i made this wreath:
I started with a raw wooden frame. I couldn’t find a crackle glaze at the hobby store so I decided to do a dry brush technique to give the frame some visual interest. I used Martha Stewart brand chalk paints. I went with a Tilled Soil base and Wedding Cake for the dry brush over it.
I painted the base color and allowed two hours for it two dry, according to the paint directions.
Then I added the lighter color paint using a dry brush technique. Dry brushing is just what it sounds like. It’s using a brush that is almost dry; there’s just a dab of paint on the bristles. I shook up the paint and just used the paint that had pooled on the lid. It’s really plenty for this. Dip your brush in the paint that’s on the lid, then dab most of it off on a paper towel. The key is to get the brush pretty dry and then use very light strokes.
This is not a difficult technique- but you do need to be careful when you first touch the brush to the surface you’re painting. You need a feather light touch- working in the groves first is probably the best place to start. I was rocking along pretty well, and then this happened:
I went a little heavy here. I was fortunate that it was in the corner- I didn’t get too upset because I knew I’d be layering in greenery and flowers and you would never know. I think if it were in a less forgiving spot, I could have gone a little heavier all the way around the frame and it would have still had that sort of weathered look and been fine.
Next I started layering in my greenery.
I hot glue the greenery onto the frame. I use the pot type of hot glue- where the little electric skillet looking pot melts glue chips. This glue seems to hold much better that regular hot glue out of a gun. You need to be sure your greenery has areas that are really glued well and that the outer areas are looser and more natural. Continue layering your next layer of “greenery” (it’s not necessarily green as you can see here:).
I added some other filler and then my flowers. I found some really cool denim flowers and thought they’d be great for this wreath. Since it’s now hanging in my living area, the little rustic touch of the denim turned out great.
I love the result. I could feature several other ways to go with this wreath. It’s perfect for a center monogram, or another element in the corner opposite the flowers. Really the possibilities are just about endless. I hope you try this!